Businesses Benefit from Sioux Falls Hazardous Waste Management Program
The City of Sioux Falls has developed a Business Hazardous Waste Management Program that offers businesses and organizations a safe, easy, and economical option to have small amounts of hazardous waste picked up at their business location in Lake, Lincoln, McCook, Minnehaha and Turner Counties.
Hazardous Waste materials in any of Novak Sanitary’s containers—dumpsters or roll-offs.
- Business and organizations must be located within Lake, Lincoln, McCook, Minnehaha, and Turner Counties
- Businesses and organizations must be classified as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) in accordance with 40 CFR 261.5
- Generate less than 2.2 lbs of acute or 220 lbs of non-acute hazardous waste onsite at any time
- The waste includes something other than fluorescent bulbs or electronics.
How does the Business Hazardous Waste Management Program work?
- Call the Sioux Falls Environment Center at 605-367-8276 to Determine Your Generator Status. The Environmental staff will help you complete the Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) Verification Form. If you qualify for this program, the Environmental Division will refer you to the contractor’s representative.
- Complete Program Application Inventory Forms. Prior to your hazardous waste being accepted, a contractor representative will contact you to complete waste inventory forms, a service agreement, and a credit check.
- Scheduling a Shipment. Once the required forms have been completed, the contractor will schedule your business into one of their milk-run shipments. Contractor technicians will arrive at your facility, package the waste according to DOT requirements, and Manifest the shipment according to federal, state, and local requirements.
- Finalize Payment. Businesses and organizations participating in this program will be invoiced only for disposal fees. Fees are based on the quantities and types of waste.