Hazardous Waste

Hazardous waste container

Paint and Chemicals

Empty paint cans or those with completely hardened paint may be placed in with your regular garbage. Otherwise, paint and hazardous waste need to be taken to the Sioux Falls Hazardous Waste facility.

Needle Disposal

An improperly disposed needle, syringe or lancet can pose serious health hazards to the public, garbage haulers and city landfill & wastewater employees. Help prevent injuries by properly disposing of needles and syringes in a puncture resistant container.

The City of Sioux Falls Public Works, VA Medical Center, Lewis Drug Stores, Hy-Vee Food Stores and Walgreens Drug Stores have partnered to provide the Home Healthcare Needle Disposal Program to dispose of needles and syringes safely.

Pick up a FREE needle disposal container from any of the participating Lewis Drug, Hy-Vee and Walgreens pharmacies. Return needle containers to the following pharmacies ONLY:

  • Lewis Drug Pharmacies
    • Southwest
    • Southgate
    • Westgate
    • Southeast
    • Eastgate
    • Brandon
    • Sioux Valley Hospital Medical Blg. 2
    • Sioux Valley Clinic (69th & Minnesota)
    • Lennox
    • Canton
    • Dell Rapids
    • Madison
    • Viborg
  • Hy-Vee Pharmacies
    • 26th Street and Marion
    • 26th Street and Sycamore Avenue
    • 49th Street and Louise Avenue
  • Walgreens Pharmacies
    • 26th Street and Minnesota Avenue
    • 26th Street and Sycamore Avenue
    • 41st Street and Louise Avenue
    • 41st Street and Sertoma Avenue
    • 57th Street and Cliff Avenue
    • 12st Street and Kiwanis Avenue
Program Rules:
  • Put only needles, syringes, lancets, and transdermal patches into the disposable container.
  • Tightly seal the lid prior to disposal.
  • Give directly to the pharmacy attendant. Receive a new free container.
  • DO NOT use an unapproved container.
  • DO NOT throw container in garbage.
  • DO NOT add bleach or chlorine.

Questions about the Home Healthcare Needle Disposal Program? Contact the Sioux Falls Public Works Environmental Division at 605-367-8276.